The latest Top 500 supercomputer list was released during the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC) 2011. The Fujitsu K computer, with 8.162 Petaflops LINPACK performance, officially tops the list. A video of interview with Hans Meuer and Jack Dongarra on the latest Top500 list is available at insidehpc.
IBM100, an emotional moment.
Parallelism, Performance, and Energy-Efficiency Tradeoffs for In Situ Sensor Data Processing, in IEEE Embedded System Letters (LES) March 2011.
IEEE Micro May-June 2011 is a special issue on Systems for Very Large-Scale Computing:
- Overcoming Communication Latency Barriers in Massively Parallel Scientific Computation, from D.E.Shaw Research.
- Simulating Whole Supercomputer Applications, from BSC.
- Automated Full-System Power Characterization, from Ghent.
- Temperature-Aware Architecture: Lessons and Opportunities, from LAVA Lab and IBM Austin.
The Proceedings of IEEE Junly 2011 is a special issue on Vehicular Communications.
The proceeding of Cool Chips 2011 is available.
Exploiting SPMD Horizontal Locality, in Computer Architecture Letters Jan 2011.
A Parallel Hardware Architecture for Real-Time Object Detection with Support Vector Machines, to appear in TC. It is partially based on the master thesis of Christos Kyrkou, titled “Embedded Hardware Architectures for Object Detection“.
Some interesting papers to appear in IEEE Micro:
- Scaling with Design Constraints – Predicting the Future of Big Chips
- MOPED: Accelerating Data Communication on Future CMPs
RoboEarth, in Robotics and Automation Magazine June 2011.
ISSCC 2011 conference reports are in the MSSC Spring 2011:
- Plenary Roundtable: “Beyond the Horizon: The Next 10x Reduction in Power—Challenges and Solutions’ [Conference Reports]
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly—20 Years of Broadband Evolution: What’s Next? [Conference Reports]
- ISSCC Evening Panel on Body Area Networks: Technology, Solutions, and Standardization [Conference Reports]
Some interesting papers in TIP July 2011:
- Framelet Algorithms for De-Blurring Images Corrupted by Impulse Plus Gaussian Noise
- Image Deblurring and Super-Resolution by Adaptive Sparse Domain Selection and Adaptive Regularization
- Video Super-Resolution Using Simultaneous Motion and Intensity Calculations
- A New Design Tool for Feature Extraction in Noisy Images Based on Grayscale Hit-or-Miss Transforms
- Saliency and Gist Features for Target Detection in Satellite Images
- A Kullback–Leibler Divergence Approach to Blind Image Restoration
Complexity Reduced Face Detection Using Probability-Based Face Mask Prefiltering and Pixel-Based Hierarchical-Feature Adaboosting, in Signal Processing Letters August 2011.
Some interesting papers in TSP July 2011:
- Robust MT Tracking Based on M-Estimation and Interacting Multiple Model Algorithm
- Efficient Delay-Tolerant Particle Filtering
Some interesting papers in Transactions on Industrial Electronics July 2011:
- Evaluation of the Hardware for a Mobile Measurement Station
- A Low-Cost Solution for Deploying Processor Cores in Harsh Environments
Eigen-based traffic sign recognition, in IET-ITS Sept 2011.
Long Live Incremental Research!, an update version of Bertrand Meyer‘s earlier blog post, “One cheer for incremental research“. It has some amusing remarks about how US National Science Foundation (NSF) and European Research Council (ERC) fund projects.